Dozing polar bear, Indianapolis Zoo

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Otter cam

After the mid-September Otter Fest that went down here, I felt the need to visit some of our mustelid friends. About the same time, I noticed that last week was Sea Otter Awareness Week at the Oregon Aquarium. There are no giant otters at the Oregon Aquarium. As far as I know, the only zoo in the U.S. that has giant otters is in Philadelphia.

But I wanted to see some otters, so we packed up and headed to the Oregon coast, where we proceeded to have any number of camera-related battery malfunctions. (Later it was determined that these problems were mostly due to attempting to charge the batteries in the car.) Before the video and still cameras gave us the Big Battery Finger, Mr. T got a couple of otter videos and I got a decent image of a shrimp. That's it. It was still fun, of course. The Kid got to hang out at the touch pool and walk through the aquarium hallway, so he was pleased.

None of the voices on here belong to us, but I think a few of the kids bumped into him and caused some camera shake in the middle.

3 comments:

kris said...

So cute - that's my dream really - float on my back in the lake while stuffing my face with food. ahhhh.

Trailhead said...

I don't even have to be floating -- I'll just take the eating part. :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE the Oregon Coast Aquarium! We actually missed that silly whale they used to have there, but have been back several times since. Quite the place.