Dozing polar bear, Indianapolis Zoo

Friday, September 07, 2007

Thirty-seven years old today and she can still find deep meaning in a Jimmy Buffett song

A few years ago when I started to panic before every birthday because I hadn't accomplished enough, Jimmy Buffett was kind enough to release License to Chill, which contained this song:



If there's one thing that I've learned from all this living, it's that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go.

Not a damn thing. And it's that way no matter who you are or what you've done, really, at least over the grand scheme. So let's just enjoy the ride, shall we?

That's not to say that years of family pressure and self-flagellation haven't dented my determination to merely live "an interesting life" -- as a dear friend put it in the first birthday greeting I got this morning -- but every time I start to beat myself up for not becoming a hot shot lawyer, publishing a book or making a living off only my photography, or just generally doing something fabulous, I listen to this song and I calm down. I have other priorities, at least right now and perhaps forever. And that's quite all right. I like the wonderful melange my life has become.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's 7:00 a.m. and the tree in my front yard is turning gold from the sunlight, and I must go watch it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! How empathetic of that tree to put on such a show for you. Have a grand day!

Trailhead said...

Aww, thanks. I thought it was very nice of the tree. Or the sun. Or whatever.

A Lewis said...

Not JUST a lawyer, but a "Hot shot lawyer"? My oh my. HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS TO YOU......want me to feed you some cake? I'll be that the golden tree at 0700 was one of the best presents you received today.

Trailhead said...

Lewis: Yup, you're right. It came second only to the self portrait my son drew last night with a fountain of water on top of his head.

The boy has ideas, I tellya.

Rose said...

Happy Birthday TH!

I have a little birthday wish post for you at ablogawayfromhome.blogspot.com

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

A fountain of water? There must be more to that story.

Happy birthday!!

kris said...

Happy Birthday!!! I think you're working on the right philosophy. I've got several years on you, and I think enjoying what you have is a pretty good way to live a life. How many chances do you suppose one person gets to see golden trees and pictures drawn by their children?

Best wishes for the great year ahead.

me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

What a great song! I hope I listen to that more than once during our next trip around the sun. Only 37 times. Not that many when you think about it. With love - ASP

Trailhead said...

Hey there Ms. Pickering!

Thanks for dropping in. You're much missed. Say hi to good ol' MLM for me.

Mike L said...

Your blog reminds me of Jack Kerouac and the ever growing self.
I just turned 40 myself and have had the same inner thougths about accomplishments and other matters of the material world. If you have a chance you must read - http://thelastseason.com/
I'll be joining you at the mountian top soon - I can see the sun coming over the ridge know...

Trailhead said...

Michael, that book looks great. I'm headed out to my place in Montana next month, and that looks like a perfect companion. I'd heard a bit about him before, but I definitely want to read that.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated B-day Trailhead!

Wow your just a few months older than me!

-Toots-