Dozing polar bear, Indianapolis Zoo

Thursday, February 22, 2007

I'll have the supersize calamari, please*

Now this is timely, at least for me. Last night the husband and I were discussing doing some dives off the Oregon coast.

"We've been here for more than two years," I said, "and we haven't even tried diving here yet." Then an odd exchange occurred, given the fact that I've been feeling like a weenie these days, particularly compared to him.

"I don't know about diving the Pacific," he said in an uncharacteristically quavery tone. "There's big stuff out there."

"You think there isn't big stuff on the reefs in the Atlantic?" I asked. "There is, and yet you plunge blithely in every time, while I have to work a lot harder to manage my nerves. What gives?"

"No, I think there's bigger stuff out here."

Guess we won't be diving off New Zealand any time soon. Even if it wasn't interested in me, I still wouldn't want to see this joe coming at me on a dive:




*Yes, I do understand how uncreative that title is. Cut me a break. I'm only halfway through my coffee.

2 comments:

Jade L Blackwater said...

I haven't learned to dive yet, but as I understand it there are all kinds of super cool things to explore diving in the Pacific! Oh, to swim with the octopi - now that would be awesome.

Trailhead said...

It would be cool, though weenies like me need a drysuit out here on accounta it's friggin' cold. That takes a bit of extra training. I know some people don't use drysuits but I'm not one of those who could.