Dozing polar bear, Indianapolis Zoo

Monday, October 30, 2006

What do I know?

I don't know enough.

I don't know nearly enough, but I do know what I love. I love the smell of my backpack -- a cross between sweat and the cinnamon raisin bagels that keep so well on a long trip -- and the feel of trail under my boots. I love the sight of one diamond drop clinging to the end of my paddle, then leaping off and joining the water with a barely perceptible plink. I love the frisson of mild fear as I fall asleep in bear country.

I love the call of a loon just after dark.

I know a little bit about protecting what I love, but I don't know enough. I know a bit about carbon footprints and the ecology of commerce, and I know that clearcuts erode more than just the spirit and that recycling doesn't cut it.

But I don't know deeply, and I don't know enough. So for now, I'm long on sentiment and short on expertise. But all learning starts with love, really. Shall we get started?

2 comments:

Dave said...

Not knowing is always the best place to start - maybe the best place to end up, too.

Trailhead said...

Agreed, Dave, with respect to both propositions.